Kathryn Yadao
3 February 2011
FD #1
I don’t remember my first trip to Kaka’ako, but I do know that I remembered the place. My dad used to pack up our bikes in the truck and cruise down Nimitz Highway until we got to Kaka’ako. I was about eight or nine years old when I learned to ride a “two-wheeler” (I guess I can be called a late bloomer). My dad thought it would be fun for me to learn on some new terrain. Kaka’ako is known for its huge, mountainous paths – at eight years old, it sure looks that way – so I had a lot of work ahead of me if I wanted to explore this new land. I still had my training wheels on, and shakily, I took off. We started at one end of the shore side and worked our way to the other, looking out at the vast ocean that lay to our left. I remember feeling so rugged and tough, like the kids in the books I’d read that ran away from home and were out on their own. Yeah, I was one tough cookie. I’d pretend I was a lone traveler, going from town to town, evading the law. My dad must have thought I was nuts, talking to myself, dodging invisible bullets, and pretending to smoke a cigarette. I could not have gotten any more enjoyment out of the world at that time.
I have gone to Kaka’ako in so many stages of my life. I made it a point to go with my friends at least once a summer – to revisit the feelings of childhood and go cardboard sliding. We all went one day, all nine of us (at the time), which is no easy feat. Some of my friends went swimming in the little rock-wall protected pool (I didn’t dare, after rumored shark attacks). We all eventually sprawled out on the top of one of the hills, tired from our adventures, and laughing because we loved every moment of it. Even though I don’t keep in touch with some of these friends that shared this moment with me, and even if we are not friends anymore, we can still reflect on that experience as something that connects us. It is these small moments throughout my life that make the harder times worthwhile.
As the years went by, I had visited Kaka’ako many times, with many similar experiences of joy. The feelings of the warm sun, the cool breeze and the fresh grass are a few things I will never forget. The initial run up the hill, the feelings of being out of breath, all disappear when you get to the very top and look at the amazing sight in front of you. You can see the power of the ocean, the playfulness of the children, and the vibrant colors of the grass and trees. At night, you can lie in the grass and listen to the little bugs, and just stare forever into the expansive night sky, full of stars and wonder.
Sometimes I go alone with my thoughts. I walk up and down the pathways slowly, calculating my problems, thinking of friends and family, or simply just enjoying time outside of the office or classroom. Sometimes I still make that run up the hill – which is much harder when you’re out of shape – just to relax and do some breathing exercises at the top. The view never gets boring for me, even though it’s the same as it was ten years ago. But maybe that’s why I enjoy this place. Maybe I enjoy the simple constancy of it, since my life is forever changing. We are always under constant pressure to remain intact with all the changing we go through in our lives, when really sometimes maybe all we need is to go somewhere that stays the same and break ourselves down slowly. Sometimes, all it takes is a simple concoction that involves a constant, flowing breeze, the sound of waves crashing on the rocks in a rhythmic way, grass under my rarely-naked toes, and a thought-inducing view before me to really feel like things might be okay.
Log of Completed Activities
_X_ Jan. 10- First Day of Instruction. Log in to our class blog, our Laulima discussion forum, and your hawaii.edu mailbox. Become familiar with these instructional media. Carefully review the information in our class blog, especially the syllabus (click on the tab at the top of the page) and schedule.
_X_ Jan. 11- Intro to Paper #1. Read the “Guidelines for Paper #1″ by midnight.
_X_ Jan. 11- Laulima Discussion: Who Am I? Post your response by midnight.
_X_ Jan. 12- Begin setting up your personal blog for all class papers. Click here for instructions. Alternately, see the “Blogger” links in the right sidebar in our class blog. To begin, complete the initial setup. You’ll be able to add finishing touches as the RD1 due date approaches. If you need help, post a request in the “Q&A About My Blog” forum in Laulima.
_X_ Jan. 18- Complete readings for Paper #1
_X_ Jan. 21- Laulima Discussion: Discuss essays by Ehrlich and Legler.
_X_ Jan. 26- Laulima Discussion: Discuss essays by Gilb and Whitehead.
_X_ Jan. 28- Review Draft #1 (RD1) due. [50 pts] Read the guidelines.
_X_ Jan. 31- Submit three RD1 evaluations. [50 pts] Read the guidelines.
_X_ Feb. 3- Final Draft #1 (FD1) due [100 pts] Read the guidelines.

No comments:
Post a Comment